How To Sustainably Generate Creative Content. Develop an Awesome Mindset with Lisa Myers, CEO of Verve Search, Plus Her Favorite Star Wars Quote
Lisa Myers is an expert in SEO and content marketing and was introduced to me by Rand Fishkin. She is the CEO of Verve Search and is an internationally respected search marketing expert. She’s won a number of prestigious awards, and in 2011, she won the Search Personality of the Year at the UK’s Search Awards and most recently, in the European Search Awards, they won the best SEO agency, the best content marketing campaign and the best Pan-European campaign. Verve’s unrivaled creativity and attention to detail have seen the company grow rapidly from a small team of passionate enthusiasts to an authoritative global service provided.
Related / Mentioned Podcast Episodes:
- Episode 001: With Neil Patel Founder of KISSmetrics on branding investments mindset, productivity and lots more
- Episode 002: James Schramko on Recurring Income Models
- Episode 006: Chris Garrett (Copyblogger) on Content Marketing For Business Success
- Episode 022: $50 million and counting with Ed O’Keefe
- Episode 032: Dan Norris on his book content machine
- Episode 038: Rand Fishkin — Wizard of Moz — on how to create Epic Seo friendly Content
- Episode 041: Mobilegeddon is here! Is your site more responsive? — With Eric Enge from Stone Temple consulting
- Episode 050: James Schramko on Frameworks For Business Profitability
- Episode 052: Kyle Tully on Specific Mindset Techniques to 10X your prices
- Episode 053: A serial entrepreneur’s journey from zero to an eight figure business valuation – with Pratima Aravabhoomi
- Episode 055: Ezra Firestone On Ecommerce and An Entrepreneurial Mindset
Key Points (Timestamps)
- 00:38 — Intro and overview
- 02:34 — Huge changes in Google’s algorithms and their effects on SEO marketing
- 04:08 — “If everyone is drawing a cross, you need to draw a circle.”- Lisa Myers
- 06:31 — How to use creative content to grow your brand
- 07:39 — The two strategies in creative content campaigns
- 09:47 — If your content isn’t working, you need to aim to create content that gets backlinks from higher quality sites (not lower quality sites).
- 12:15 — Lisa describes Verve Search’s award-winning content marketing campaign.
- 14:21 — A discussion on guest blogging as an SEO strategy and a business strategy
- 16:10 — The biggest and most authoritative sites in the Norwegian market
- 16:47 — The job of an SEO and content marketer is to be a labyrinth walker.
- 21:21 — The importance of research and how to use it to create great content
- 23:48 — Rand Fishkin and his take on how to create high-value shareable content
- 24:22 — Trying to push content that people don’t need is a complete waste of time.
- 26:19 — Creating good creative content will cover many bases (SEO, PR, social media, etc..).
- 28:44 — Creating content that doesn’t solve a problem is like building a house by holding a hammer.
- 29:43 — How to sustainably create epic high-quality content
- 33:43 — Creating good quality content does involve taking some calculated risks.
- 34:16 — Doing multiple small campaigns to ‘cover your bases’ is a highly risky strategy.
- 35:19 — The importance of trusting your instincts
- 36:45 — Lisa Myer’s favorite Star Wars quote: “Do or Do not – there is no try.” – Yoda
- 36:55 — Most common challenges people face when engaging in creative content
- 42:39 — Lisa’s ‘rubber band’ theory when it comes to personal growth and recruitment
- 45:55 — Action steps you can take right now
- 46:26 — A thought experiment you can try right now
- 47:40 — Book recommendations from Lisa Myers